There are 13 members on the Board of Governors.
The constitution is as follows:
- 8 Co-opted – appointed by appointed by the governing body. They are people who in the opinion of the governing body have the skills required to contribute to the effective governance and success of the school.
- 1 LEA – appointed by Lancashire Education Authority
- 2 Parents – elected by parents and guardians of children on roll at the school at the time of the election
- 2 Staff – 1 elected by staff and the Headteacher
Full Governing Body meetings are held at least four times each year, once during the Autumn and Spring terms and twice during the Summer term. There are sub-committees some of which have to exist by law and are known as statutory committees. These are committees which deal with both pupil and staff discipline and official complaints and any appeals which may arise from these matters. The non-statutory committees are:
- Curriculum, Progress & Standards
- Finance & Resources
These committees meet at least once each term in a pre-arranged cycle prior to a full Governing Body meeting but might also meet as the need arises. Reports from each committee are passed to all Governors at their termly meeting for information or ratification.
By law some decisions can only be made by all the Governors and cannot be delegated to a committee. An example of this is the determining of the Admissions Policy in the school.
A Governor represents everyone in the school, not just the body which elected them; a parent Governor brings the views and expertise of being a parent and is not a representative of parents as a whole. Any Governor can be approached if a person has a matter of concern or requires information.
If you are interested in becoming a School Governor or would like more information, contact www.lancashire.gov.uk and search for Governor Services. Their telephone number is 0800 616 667 or e-mail: email@example.com
For a list of governors, committees and the meeting schedule please click here.
Governors’ Meetings are held throughout the year, details can be found on the school calendar